Publisher’s Note: This is the round-house punch. Get a towel ready because you're gonna need it.
Sybele Capezzutti: Most Americans don't understand Islam. It is not simply a belief system but a political system as well. Followers of Islam are taught to live under sharia law, and that is not just for radicals but for every follower. A recent research revealed that 51% of the Muslims living the in US support replacing the Constitution with sharia law.
Predominantly Muslim countries enforce sharia as the only set of laws for its citizens. Because those laws are part of a belief system, their followers do not recognize or are compelled to follow any other law, thus why they don't assimilate when living in western countries and form communities where they follow sharia among themselves.
I hear a lot of people talking about respecting others religions, and I completely support that. But, understanding that Islam is not simply a religion is extremely important..! In essence, it is a totalitarian system that uses people's blind faith in order to control every aspect of their lives. We've worked really hard in this country to ensure people's basic rights and I'm dumbfounded when I hear people willingly making room in our society for a system that under the blanket of religion takes them all away.
If you're not familiar with sharia, please read and learn. Sharia law is the law of Islam. The Sharia (also spelled Shariah or Shari'a) law is cast from the actions and words of Muhammad, which are called "Sunnah," and the Quran, which he authored. According to the Sharia law:
• Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand.
• Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death.
• Criticizing or denying Muhammad is a prophet is punishable by death.
• Criticizing or denying Allah, the moon god of Islam is punishable by death.
• A Muslim who becomes a non-Muslim is sentenced to death.
• A non-Muslim who leads a Muslim away from Islam is sentenced to death.
• A non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim woman is sentenced to death.
• A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
• Girls' clitoris should be cut (per Muhammad's words in Book 41, Kitab Al-Adab, Hadith 5251).
• A woman can have 1 husband, but a man can have up to 4 wives
• A man can unilaterally divorce his wife but a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.
• A man can beat his wife for insubordination.
• Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.
• A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).
• A woman's testimony in court, allowed only in property cases, carries half the weight of a man's.
• A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits.
• A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).
• A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.
• Meat to be eaten must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah - i.e., be Halal.
• Muslims should engage in Taqiyya and lie to non-Muslims to advance Islam.
• Homosexual activity is punishable by death
• Non-Muslims must pay a tax called jizrah or die
• Blasphemy against Islam is punishable by flogging, amputation, hanging or beheading.
• The Quran doesn't recognize written contracts for commercial transactions, only oral agreements.
• It is acceptable to take non-muslims as slaves and sell them.
• Interest on loans are prohibited.
After learning about these strict laws, it is almost pathetic that the focus of criticism in this Country are some Christians who oppose tax payer's funding for abortions, Nativity Scenes or Christmas trees on the public square, a silent prayer in public, Bibles in a hotel room, and all the other silly things that apparently bother so many while the same people go out of their way to make room for tolerance of laws that clearly infringe on freedom of speech and equal rights. Ignorance is a choice, a dangerous one.